Textiles standards & trade group
The remit of the Textile Standard and Trade Committee is to actively contribute to the development of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) which is ¼ owned by the Soil Association, and also guide the development of Standards related to textiles that are beyond the scope of GOTS, such as leather, skins and hides. The Committee also play an active role in guiding the trade and campaign related activities of the Soil Association, including the ‘Have you cottoned on yet?’ campaign.
We aim to have a representative spread of appropriate expertise on the Committee together with consumer and public interest representatives. The committee meets at least once a year, more often when the GOTS is under review.
Committee members as of January 2014
- Rhiannon Rowley, Committee Chair: licensee - Abaca
- William Lana: licensee - Greeenfibres
- Liesl Truscott: Textile Exchange
- Abi Rushton: Ethical Expert
- Sue Blacker: licensee - Natural Fibre Company
- James Minney: licensee - Peopletree
- Matt Hopson: licensee - Cornish Organic Wool
- Andrew Filarowski: Society of Dyers and Colourists
- Kate Fletcher: eco textile consultant
- Chris King: licensee - Garthenor
- Phil Patterson, Colour Connections
- Rachel Russell: lay representative
- Mariusz Stochaj: Continental Clothing
- Neil Chadwick: licensee - Seasalt
- Susie Hewson: licensee - Natracare
- Simon Ferrigno: organic and sustainable cotton consultant
The committee last met on 4th November 2013. The majority of the meeting was spent reviewing the second round consultation documents relating to version 4 of GOTS, which is due to be published in the Spring. The outcome of the committee’s discussion was formally submitted to the Technical Director of GOTS for consideration in the final consultation phase.
The committee also heard details of the Soil Association work investigating the use of genetically modified micro-organisms (GMM) which are widely used in the conventional textile industry.
The committee plan to meet again towards the end of 2014. If you would like any more information about the committee, please contact Sarah Compson, Standards Project Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.