Processing Standards Committee
The remit of the Processing Standards Committee is to develop and keep under review our food processing standards and to deal with issues referred to the committee from licensees, Soil Association members, the public and Soil Association Certification Ltd. We aim to have a representative spread of appropriate expertise on the Committee together with consumer and public interest representatives.
Committee members as at October 2014:
- Benjamin Dent: Food policy and business researcher (Chair)
- Callum Devine: Technical Manager, Nicholas & Harris
- Veryan Bliss: Technical & Commercial Director, Suncrop Ltd
- Simon Dale: Global Technical Director, Ella's Kitchen
- Tim Appleton: Sustainability & Technical Compliance Manager, Duchy Originals
- Catherine Scoones: Lay member
The Standards Team is sad to announce that a long-standing member of the Processing Standards Committee, Dorothy Cullinane, passed away in May 2014. Dorothy has made a huge contribution to this Committee and to Soil Association Standards over the 10 years she has served as a member, always sharing high quality technical advice in a relevant and insightful manner. Dorothy will be greatly missed.
Recent Committee business
The Committee last met on 15th July 2014 and discussed the following:
- The review of the EU regulation for organic food and farming and potential impact on the organic food processing sector
- A project to increase the impact of our standards
- An analysis of the additives and processing aids permitted in organic food processing
- Committee membership