Ox liver and bacon, onion gravy and mashed potatoes with parsley
Sheepdrove Organic Farm’s head butcher, Nick Rapps, has created some special recipes for Organic September for under £6 to feed 4.
"Organic meat is better for our health, our animals and the planet. That is why I am passionate about making organic meat as affordable as possible".
"Offal refers to the inside parts of the animal (heart, liver, kidney and tongue). Named the 'fifth quarter' in Italy, offal is making a comeback in Britain thanks to a renewed appreciation of nose-to-tail eating. Offal is a great price, versatile, tasty and healthy.
"Sometimes people worry about eating liver and kidney because they are toxin-filtering organs. However, organically reared animals are fed a natural diet, so it makes sense to choose organic offal.
"Sheepdrove bacon is dry-cured the traditional way on the farm, and like all organic bacon, has no added water. You will be struck by the lack of water when you cook organic bacon!"
- 8 slices of ox liver: £1.27
- 6 rashers of bacon: £3
- Organic potatoes, parsley and onion: £1.09
Hopefully you have the ingredients for the gravy in your store cupboard:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 3/4 pt (450 ml) water
- Optional to add salty flavour: vegetable bouillon cube or a slosh of Tamari
- Quarter the potatoes, cook until they are soft-enough to fall off a sharp knife, and mash with butter and a slosh of milk until smooth. Add chopped parsley if available.
- Meanwhile make the onion gravy: fry the sliced onion gently for 15 minutes in the butter and oil. Add the water and heat gently. Add cornflour to some water to make a thin smooth paste and add to the gravy to thicken it, and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Fry bacon in a dry frying pan. Remove when gently crisp and keep warm. Keep the bacon fat to fry the liver. Roll slices of ox liver in flour - fry for 4 minutes. Either add to gravy, or to a pile of mashed potatoes, and top with crispy bacon, as we did for the picture.
Sheepdrove Organic Farm on the Berkshire Downs has two butcher’s shops, one in Bristol, the other in Maida Vale, London, and also an online shop. Sheepdrove was one of the first farms to sell its organic meat by mail order in the 1990s. Sheepdrove will be having special offers during Organic September.