Down on the Farm
In this short film, your pupils will discover how everything that lives on a farm is connected - Down on the Farm looks at sustainable farming, free range animals, local food and wildlife.
About the film
The Soil Association has been supported by the Organic Action Plan Group of Northern Ireland to produce this short animation to explore current issues around food and farming.
It is suitable for late KS1 and KS2, and ideal to use on your interactive whiteboard. The animation can be played as a story followed by some class discussion, or as a springboard into more detailed work on soil, animal welfare, food chains and food miles through the supporting materials.
The Down on the Farm materials will help you meet the following Northern Ireland Curriculum links:
- The World Around Us- Geography, History and Science and Technology
- Personal development and Mutual Understanding
Download our supporting curriculum-linked teaching materials:
- Down on the Farm teachers' notes [PDF, 445 KB]
- Teaching resource 1: Crop rotation [PDF, 968 KB]
- Teaching resource 2: Food chain [PDF, 439 KB]
- Teaching resource 3a: Farming pictures [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Teaching resource 3b: Farming pictures [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Teaching resource 4: How the other half live [PDF, KB]
- Teaching resource 5: How far has your food travelled [PDF, 219 KB]
- Teaching resource 6: Food stories [PDF, 70 KB]
- Activity sheet 1: Animal charter [PDF, 331 KB]
- Activity sheet 2: Where in the world [PDF, 550 KB]