UK organically certified abattoirs
Please take a look at the map below to find an organically certified abattoir in your area. This list includes abattoirs certified across the UK including Jersey and the Isle of Man, and includes abattoirs certified by Soil Association, Biodynamic Agriculture Association (BDAA), Organic Farmers and Growers (OF&G), SOPA (Scottish Organic Producers Association) and QWFC (Quality Welsh Foods Certification Limited).
While every effort is made to ensure that the information listed is accurate and up to date, it is the sole responsibility of the individual producer to check the organic status of the abattoir and associated services at time of slaughter.
All abattoirs listed are certified in accordance with EU Regulation No. 1084/1999, and can be used by organic producers registered with any certification body. Contact your certification body to clarify the correct stamping of carcasses.
Soil Association standards concerning organic abattoirs:
- Lairage, pens and gates must be designed and maintained to minimise stress and damage.
- Animals must be handled with particular concern for their welfare and to ensure minimum stress and damage.
- The animals should be admitted for slaughter as soon after arrival as possible and not left waiting at the slaughter-house for long periods of time.
- All animals must be given access to clean water, adequate bedding if in lairage for over 6 hours, and organic feed if in lairage for over 12 hours
- The animals must be slaughtered in a humane way, which reflects proper care and concern.
- It is recommended that local abattoirs should be used wherever possible to reduce travel stress
If you have any queries regarding this list, please contact email@example.com.
To find an organic abattoir in your area, simply click on the relevant livestock slaughter icon which is categorised by species and located below the map.
Entries for Jersey
Due to a technical error, a certified abattoir in Jersey does not appear on the map. Please note that Soil Association certified Transport and Technical Services Recycling Logistics are certified to slaughter Beef, Sheep, Pigs and Goats. Contact details are PO Box 412, South Hill, St Helier, JE4 8UY T: 01534 60169.
View UK Organic Certified Abattoir List in a full screen map